AGENCY: IDN Finland
CLIENT NAME: IKEA Oy, Finland
For IKEA in Finland, the summer season is the most important sales period. During the spring, the sales trend of IKEA was going down and the web hits were decreasing in an alarming degree. Next to one million Finns are included in the IKEA FAMILY customer relations program (20% of the total adult population) and the sales generated by the members are more than 50% of IKEA´s total sales. Our assignment was to design a members´ communication plan with an objective of increasing the sales of the stores and the webstores, as well as to step up the web hits.
We designed a communications plan targeting the FAMILY members in which we observed the special features of the Finnish summer (the weather!), the Finnish way of living in their summer cottages (however, connected to internet) and inspire them to re-decorate their home and summer house. We asked the members if they wanted to receive weekly mails and text messages in the summer, including great inspiring offers, new products and hot collections. 80% of the members informed us that they want this. We divided the messages in separate categories:
• Inspirational mails (funny, inspiring, summer-related messages)
• Joker mails, super offers going off in two days according to weather (sunny)
• Plan B mails, summer offer going off in accordance with sales
• Flea market (summer flea market, July 3, on the store courtyards)
• Webstore mails (targeted mailings to summer cottage owners, the webstore delivers also to the cottage, all over Finland)
In addition, we sent weekly SMS-messages related to the topics above.
Last summer, IKEA in Finland achieved (despite the fine weather!) the best ever sales record.
The results as of early August are: 168% increase in web traffic (member visits) and a 280% increase in the webstore sales compared with the previous year.